The Prosecutor General’s Office has said that it is in discussion with the Elections Commission regarding the alleged ‘hijacking’ of the commission late last month. One of the five commission members has reportedly resigned today for as-yet unknown reasons.
The President’s Office issued a statement this afternoon “condemning efforts by individuals to stop former President Mr Mohamed Nasheed from running for Office of President of Maldives.”
On October 7 the Supreme Court annulled the first round of the 2013 presidential elections citing electoral irregularities in a 4-3 judgment, citing a confidential police report submitted to the court allegedly claiming that more than 5600 votes were ineligible. This is an English translation of the majority verdict and dissenting opinion.
Maldives is not ranked on the Economist Intelligence Unit’s ‘Democracy Index’, but one can go through the details of this index and build their own perspective on how well are we doing on this. My summary, based on an assessment of these parameters, is that we are a democracy on ventilator – desperately gasping for life, writes Jeehan Golhu.
Following the decision to annul the first round of the presidential elections, Mohamed Naahee reports his observations from the proceedings and explores the controversy surrounding the Supreme Court bench.
Voices in favour of the death penalty within some parts of society show that there is a continuous need to spell out why the death penalty runs contrary to the right to life and to human dignity, writes Secretary General of the Council of Europe Thorbjørn Jagland and European Union High Representative Catherine Ashton, on the occasion of World Day against the Death Penalty.
The PPM has meanwhile announced that it is in discussions with both President Dr Mohamed Waheed and the Jumhooree Party regarding the fielding of a single candidate for the upcoming repeat of the presidential election.
Presidential candidates who ran in the first round of polling September 7 will not be asked to re-file their candidacy and no new candidates will be allowed to compete in the election, the EC Secretary General told local media.
Former President Mohamed Nasheed has meanwhile alleged that Tourism Minister Ahmed Adheeb “had his hand” in the arson attack, a claim dismissed as false by the PPM minister.