Round the clock electricity service will be provided to all inhabited islands by mid-2015, President Abdulla Yameen pledged at a ceremony held last night to inaugurate the distribution of 77 generators by government utility company Fenaka to the atolls.
“Since the report publicized on September 22, 2014 is independent without the family or any others’ involvement, I call on the Maldives Police Services to investigate the issues highlighted on the report without delay,” said the mother of missing journalist Ahmed Rilwan.
The Department of Judicial Administration – which functions under the direct supervision of the Supreme Court – did not respond to the request for commentary on the report, the HRCM lawyer noted at the first hearing of the trial today.
While police have pledged to take action against those involved in compiling the “irresponsible” report, the Maldivian Democracy Network has argued that all details included were already in the public domain.
“Don’t do this to our youth. Don’t make them do all these vile deeds after picking them out individually and leading them astray,” the opposition leader said at a Maldivian Democratic Party rally in Malé last night.
Former President Mohamed Nasheed has suggested that participation in the Chinese project would risk drawing the Maldives into wider security conflicts, a situation previously avoided by Maldivian leaders.
“[B]y initiating a suo moto, the Supreme Court is undermining the responsibilities vested by the Maldivian Constitution and international conventions on the independent commission,” said the Maldivian Democratic Party.
The report confirmed evidence of possible “hostile surveillance” at the terminal conducted by two known affiliates of the Kuda Henveiru gang. It also suggested a “strong possibility” that Rilwan was abducted by a gang motivated by Islamic extremism.
The court will begin suo moto proceedings against the HRCM on Wednesday in relation to the submission of a report last week for the UN Human Rights Council’s Universal Periodic Review.