Announcements



announcement

MAPS College
Position: Part-time lecturer – Business Administration



announcement

UNDP
Position: National Coordinator



announcement

Advertise your job/event/promo on Minivan News

 

announcement


Page added on June 11, 2012

DRP deputy leader interprets CNI timeline as evidence of “evil and dangerous plan”

DRP deputy leader interprets CNI timeline as evidence of “evil and dangerous plan” thumbnail

Deputy Leader of the Dhivehi Rayithunge Party (DRP) Ibrahim Shareef yesterday accused former President of the Maldives Mohamed Nasheed of planning to murder members of the December 23 coalition during the unrest that led to Nasheed’s resignation in February.

“President Nasheed’s evil and dangerous plan has now been revealed to the people,” Shareef has been reported as saying.

MDP International Spokesman Hamid Abdul Ghafoor called the claims “outrageous” and “irresponsible politics”.

Speaking at a coalition press conference at the Nalahiya hotel, Shareef said it was the presence of the police during the night of February 6 that thwarted the aims of those hired by Nasheed to kill members of the coalition.

The group, named after the December 23 protests, purportedly held to defend Islam against the policies of the Nasheed government, consists of former opposition parties and religious NGOs.

Shareef’s accusations appear to refer to the period during the night of February 6 when December 23 coalition and MDP supporters faced off at the artificial beach area with only a police line to separate them.

Shareef was unavailable for comment at the time of press.

A timeline chronicling the events that led to Nasheed’s eventual resignation on February 7 was released by the Commission of National Inquiry (CNI) last week. The timeline was translated by Azra Naseem.

The CNI has recently been reformed following widespread concern over its impartiality and independence.

President Waheed announced that the reforms, which include the introduction of a Singaporean judge to act as co-chair and the inclusion of a Nasheed nominee, Ahmed ‘Gahaa’ Saeed, would be completed by June 15.

Despite the impending resumption of the CNI’s work, the commission’s original members decided to release a report based on their investigations so far.

This report claims that both the Home Minister at the time, Hassan Afeef, and then Nasheed himself ordered the Police Commissioner to remove the police from the area (sections 29 and 32 of the report).

The timeline went on to say that officers on the ground told both Afeef, who then told Nasheed that the “atmosphere was not good” (section 30).

Nasheed is then said to have repeated his request to remove police from the artificial beach area on the night of February 6 (points 34 and 40). This request was refused by officers in the area who insisted that they be replaced by the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) (point 38).

The replacement MNDF forces were then asked to step down, according to the report, before violence erupted between the opposing protesters (points46 and 48).

Shareef suggested that these points prove Nasheed’s intentions.

“I’ve said this because Nasheed did plan to murder the members of the December 23 coalition. He hired people to carry out the murder and then ordered the Police to fall back,” Shareef is said to have told the press.

Shareef also alleged that Nasheed had planned to create conflict between the police and the MNDF in order to instigate bloodshed that would result in foreign interference in the Maldives’ internal affairs.

The CNI report provided little detail regarding this accusation, stating only that the leader of the Dhivehi Qaumee Party (DQP), Dr Hassan Saeed, had received reports that the Indian Military were preparing to intervene.

“Deputy leader of the Qaumee Party announced to the public at the Republic Square that Dr Hassan Saeed had received assurances from the Indian High Commission that Indian military will not be coming to the Maldives,” read the report.

Ghafoor said that Shareef’s claims were completely without evidence.

“He should have been more careful and directed his accusations to a serious and credible report,” he said.

“We must remember that Shareef likes to get attention – nobody takes him seriously,” added Ghafoor.

The MDP released the report of its own investigations into the events on Saturday. Prior to its reformation, the MDP had refused to work with the CNI.

The MDP’s version of events had claimed that opposition figures were had plotted the overthrow of the government with the help of a police and army officer protest from as early as September last year.

The report claimed that coup conspirators then engaged in concerted efforts to cultivate an atmosphere of unrest and to conscript willing agitators from within the security forces.

The report names numerous figures within the security forces, including current Defence Minister Mohamed Nazim and Police Commissioner Abdullah Riyaz.

Government Spokesman Abbas Adil Riza described the release of the report as “terrorism” whilst the MNDF today threatened legal action against “those who make false claims about the Maldivian military, issue reports, and act in ways that causes loss of public confidence in this institution.”

Meanwhile the MDP have interpreted the CNI timeline as indicating that there had been a coup and that President Dr Mohamed Waheed Hassan should therefore resign.

FacebookTwitterEmailGoogle GmailGoogle+BeboPocketShare


9 Comments on "DRP deputy leader interprets CNI timeline as evidence of “evil and dangerous plan”"

  1. Hussain on Mon, 11th Jun 2012 6:45 PM 

    I did not expect Anni would go this low to protect his power

  2. ismail on Mon, 11th Jun 2012 9:41 PM 

    Two warring parties armed with batons and other weapons . A thin line of policemen trying to keep them separate. And our President orders even this thin line of police be withdrawn. Motive clear. Let the two factions fight it out. Perfect setting for President( Dictator Anni ) to declare emergency law. Then he gets unlimited powers. Then he can arrest Yamin and Gasim And Jameel and human rights activist Sandan Ahmed Didi .)
    too bad Anni . your plot was foiled.

  3. Ahmed on Tue, 12th Jun 2012 12:47 AM 

    Incomprehensible!

  4. Ahmed on Tue, 12th Jun 2012 12:48 AM 

    Idiot.

  5. Raalu on Tue, 12th Jun 2012 1:40 AM 

    False accusations and fabrications about crimes that are yet to have taken place is gross defamtory and illegal in a ciivilised country. We used to live in such a place… But not anymore!

  6. NashAk on Tue, 12th Jun 2012 1:46 AM 

    agree with Hussain on this, it’s a shame to see Nasheed running around to defend his ever so ‘democratic’ empire.. it would be better for MDP if we had a different leader. All our elected leaders have now been thrown out of the party. we have no Party President or Vice President. Its hard to talk of democracy MDP can bring, when we don’t have democracy within us.

  7. Ahmed bin Addu bin Suvadheeb on Tue, 12th Jun 2012 4:28 AM 

    What remains unanswered so far is the question of responsibility for the withdrawal of police forces from a scene of pending violence.

    The CNI “timeline” suggests it was former President Nasheed himself who ordered that. MDP disputes this. This is a vital piece of information and the truth of that needs to be established. That incident in itself doesn’t play a major part in the overall scheme of things. It just provided ammunition and acted as a trigger to an already planned series of actions to topple the presidency.

    Even if the Police were not ordered to withdraw from the area, some other trigger would have resulted in the same outcome, either that same night or sometime later.

    I do agree with Hamid with one thing though. No one takes “Mavota” seriously as the chap is clearly a buffoon!

  8. shahid on Tue, 12th Jun 2012 12:40 PM 

    All the expelled MDP “potential” leaders have switched parties for personal money and power.

    Nasheed would NEVER EVER do such a thing!

  9. Aussie on Tue, 12th Jun 2012 1:05 PM 

    Mavota Shareef!
    You are no better than Nazim, Gasim or Riyaz!
    You are nothing but an “ATTA MAS”; “a sucker taking a free ride”!
    Walk the streets of Male’ like a zombie!


  • Shaine: @DMF don’t worry this bridge will never be build. the money will go in to paying off presidential debts owed for the last election, then for the prezo...
  • policy: “… and not to spread information that will lead people to be concerned of police work…” Instead of pointing fingers at others, why...
  • dhivehisitee: @Somnabulist what does the west have in the way of tolerance? Apparently they have a problem with muslim women’s veil, mosques minaret and even...
  • dhivehisitee: Rather, our country seems to be infested with different types of intolerant radical fundamentalist atheists and zionists and what not. During the last...
  • Willy Rasta: Good assessment of previous comment, because its isolation the country is infested with different types of intolerant so called radical fundamentalist...
  • kareem: this old man is just ridiculous. we are lucky that there is no gayoomism. if there was we should all hand over everything we work for to him because he is god.
  • DMF: China does not give anything away for free. They built 3 bridges in Bangladesh and in the space of 3 years the bridges were in drastic need of urgent repairs,...
  • Sanfa: He couldn’t even pretend to give a ****. Disgusting even by Golha standards. By law aren’t you responsible for the safety and security of ALL (and...

announcement

Torture victims in the Maldives tell their stories