Announcements

announcement

Advertise your job/event/promo on Minivan News

announcement

Page added on April 13, 2014

Making tracks: The Maldives’ first female DJ

Making tracks: The Maldives’ first female DJ thumbnail

‘We don’t need a female Maldivian DJ,’ Angie recalls her first rejection from a local DJ agency.

“They didn’t even check how I played, if I was good or bad, nothing. Just the fact that I’m a female and Maldivian they could decide that they don’t want me.”

While the music scene in the Maldives is growing, for a young DJ wishing to enter the DJ circuit, the venues to play are still few and far between. Throw into the equation that you are the first female Maldivian DJ ever to formally graduate, and there are an entirely new set of hurdles to cross if you are to make your name.

“In 2008, I decided that this was what I wanted to do.” says 26 year-old Aminath Fazleena Abbas, also known as Angie. “Even when I did the course I didn’t realise that I was the only girl, I didn’t think that was possible.”

Angie is originally from Malé, the capital of the Maldives. After travelling abroad to study Electronic Music Production in Thailand, it wasn’t until her return that she realised she was the first woman in the Maldives to do so, she explained.

“I think it’s sad, ” she said. “I’m sure there are plenty of girls that have an interest, but due to the cultural and religious side of Maldives they are unable to do it.”

With no formal clubs in the capital, DJs often get work by playing on nearby islands – either on tourist resorts or at private parties. However, competition for these DJ slots are high – with a few agencies monopolising many of the contracts.

“When I first started in 2013 I didn’t have any contacts – no-one – so I just called resorts from the Visit Maldives group. Most of the answers were that ‘we didn’t need DJs in this resort because they had contracts with different organisations.’ ”

One such reply was particularly blunt: “They sent me a reply after a few weeks, ‘we don’t need a female Maldivian DJ’,” recalled Angie.

“That really demotivated me, since they were the main people. They didn’t even check how I played, if I was good or bad, nothing, just the fact that I’m a female and Maldivian they could decide that they don’t want me.”

“Once we join these organisations, more than 50 percent of what the resort pays go to the organisation, and the DJ gets payed 50 percent or less. So they really don’t like it when someone is around and they are doing it on their own – they want their people to go so they will get the money.”

After some time calling around and working hard, she landed a contract with a local agency and began playing gigs at a nearby resort. However, not everything has been easy since forming the new partnership.

“Normally the resort staff are really nice, it’s just the organisers – people who are fighting for the money. They want to know – is this oriented for them?”

“The pay differs, mostly US$200/300 per night, but when you come to 3-star it will be like US$100. I have once gone to a resort, and I got payed US$75. But since I was new – since I didn’t have experience – I didn’t know any better. I took the money, I just wanted the experience.”

Not only was there an issue with the pay, Angie continued, but also the music had to be compromised in order to land gigs with certain resorts.

“I like to play deep house, minimal, trance, techno, dub,” Angie explains, “But you can’t do it here in the Maldives, because you can’t get places to play.”

“When I did the New Year 2013 gig, I mixed up music that I preferred into it, and it didn’t turn out well. Most of the resorts don’t want that. Because for those who don’t like this kind of music they don’t want to hear it – they want to hear the old – really old – retro kind of music.”

“That was the first time I realised, ‘okay, I have to change to play what they want me to play’. So I did that at first – but now I don’t want to do that anymore, because I can find – though very few – resorts where I can play deep house and I can keep to the range of genres that I like.”

The opportunity for local DJs to play music they are passionate about often comes at parties organised on private islands.

“There are private islands, there I can play deep house, tech house, minimal. They are not looking for people to come and dance, they want good music in the bar at night, so I love that place because I can play the kind of music I want to play.”

Local festivals also provide a place for Angie to play her preferred genres of deep house and minimal. O.T.U.M, Angie explains, is a two-day festival set up by a collective of local DJs and artists called The Underground Movement.

According to the Underground Movement’s statement, “It is important to appreciate that the motive behind such a series of gatherings goes beyond mere merry-making and the fulfillment of a badly neglected need for entertainment.”

Set on a nearby local island, this two-stage festival gives local acts the chance to play to a crowd just for the love of music, without seeking a huge profit.

Angie will be playing at the pioneering festival alongside an eclectic line-up of DJs, with some travelling from Sri Lanka and India, and representing the cutting edge Maldivian dance music scene.

“Let’s say it [the music scene] is getting better, slowly,” says Angie. “Slowly, but it’s happening now.”

FacebookTwitterEmailGoogle GmailGoogle+BeboPocketShare

19 Comments on "Making tracks: The Maldives’ first female DJ"

1. Peter Sabe on Sun, 13th Apr 2014 9:42 PM

Me and my buddies are travelling to SriLanka and hope to do Maldives too .. we like to to chech out the Clubs in Male too. Whats the best one..?

2. Rahman on Sun, 13th Apr 2014 10:05 PM

So called Muslim country. How you can do this since Islam prohibited from the music. Yow many prayers you gonna miss and how many bottle of alcohol you have to,consume. Think about Allah and holly Quran. Ex DJ lover

3. Junaidh on Mon, 14th Apr 2014 12:09 AM

Rahman, very true. And we call ourselves 100% Muslims. A Muslim is anyone who believes in 1 God, and believes Muhammadh (PBUH) was God’s messenger. So, to obey God, you have to obey his messenger, and follow his teachings, without excuses. Muhammadh (PBUH) prohibited singing with Music.

4. DMF on Mon, 14th Apr 2014 1:47 AM

Peter Sabe on Sun, 13th Apr 2014 9:42 PM

Peter, you need to do your research there are no Clubs in the Maldives.

5. rgcvrtgw on Mon, 14th Apr 2014 4:19 AM

UM SHE IS NOT THE FIRST FEMALE DJ IN MALDIVES,

6. dfcw on Mon, 14th Apr 2014 4:24 AM

real dj’s use cd’s not midi controller with sync button like her

7. cabs on Mon, 14th Apr 2014 6:33 AM

what so great in this,my guess is there is not much high class lighting systems in resorts so fine tuning music tracks to lighting doesn’t take place frequently,so mainly this involves listening to music tracks,compiling them and playing audiences or once favourites

8. Maldivian on Mon, 14th Apr 2014 7:14 AM

With the adhaalath party blackmailed into silence, and the wakeup now baigandu framed for theft and banditry, I think Angie will be okay.

We’ll still make sure no arab-wannabe slits her throat in a drugged frenzy.

9. Mordis on Mon, 14th Apr 2014 8:57 AM

@Junaidh on Mon, 14th Apr 2014 12:09 AM

Its not a Starbucks religion, where you get to choose your flavour of coffee!

Music is haraam. Pork, movies, TV, Pictures, dancing, fornication, drugs …. all are Haraam! Period!

Either you are a muslim and live with those restrictions, or you are not a one.

10. Ravin Loony on Mon, 14th Apr 2014 10:46 AM

God created these creatures who sings like angels.

11. Mohamed Kais on Mon, 14th Apr 2014 12:01 PM

First of all where in the Quran does it say SPECIFICALLY that listening to music is haraam? If it specifically does NOT say “music is haraam” I believe its a big sin to label it as being forbidden, because surely that would be altering the word of Allah.

Secondly, Prophet Muhammad’s (PBUH) hadheeth’s were written within 100 years from his death. HUNDRED years. By several people. With several beliefs about islam. How do we know whether who ever wrote the Hadheeths were making it up along the way, ommiting and adding bits to the hadheeths, so that it would fit each of their own beliefs about islam. Its mere stupidity to blindly follow Hadheeth passed on to us orally and by people other than Muhammad (PBUH) from over 500 years ago.

Science has proven the FACT through evidence based research that music is a necessity for human beings to survive, for their sanity, for development of theirr brain.

Surely a great God such as Allah, who loves his subjects would not keep them from something as important and divine as music. Something that is present through out nature, something so necessary for the sanity of the human mind.

12. Ssss on Mon, 14th Apr 2014 12:22 PM

For God’s sake. Music is not haraam. There are different levels of hadith and it’s not a one that holds much power. You extremists make the beautiful religion a cage.

13. Alan Hunter on Mon, 14th Apr 2014 12:46 PM

Well done young lady,Music is about life.There are plenty of Good Muslims in this world that DJ, listen and play musical instruments.

14. snesei on Mon, 14th Apr 2014 1:09 PM

What someone likes to do or want to do is theirs and their business only.. why do you guys want to poke your head into others business ?

15. Arya on Mon, 14th Apr 2014 6:36 PM

To those who just said music is not haraam:
    True that it isn’t specially mentioned in the Quruan that music is haraam.

I wonder if you would accept her being a DJ if she was wearing abaya.

Just saying because she isnt wearing hijab but Quruan has mentioned about hijab

16. Alan Hunter on Tue, 15th Apr 2014 2:40 AM

What is birdsong or waves lapping on a beautiful shore….music.

17. Muzaffar on Tue, 15th Apr 2014 9:19 PM

ALAN HUNTER!
    That is an utter sin!!! u cant get worldly pleasures like that! It’s haraam haraam haraam! But having concubines dance and play violins or flute or tambourines is not Sick sick sick

18. haa-in on Wed, 16th Apr 2014 11:55 PM

Real DJs don’t complain about where the sound is coming from.

19. Maldivian on Sun, 20th Apr 2014 1:36 PM

I hope you’ve learned not to trust the enemy now, Angie.

• Huma: I would love to see a comment piece on how the newly enacted regulations will affect freedom of information, press freedom, media freedom and how it seeks to...
  • Maldives: Is this the “period of calm and stability” that Yameen was talking about in his independence day address?
  • curious: So where are these social media updates?
  • Hero: People like Andrew hate so much Maldivian and they want Maldivian staffs to suffer . Those staffs who had courage to go on srike should not do it since Maldivian...
  • Samaritan: @Andrew! That is absurd what you have written. Maldivians just CANNOT be treated differently from foreign personnel. THis is absolutely a HUMAN RIGHTS...
  • fag: Pretty common in the Maldives. It is a good sign that reports are increasing. It shows that people are not ignoring such abuse. In the past, people were afraid of...
  • Jason: Hero , come out of the well you are in , Maldives is one of the LEAST DEVELOPED countries among SAARC family. obviously you have not travelled to other...
  • Mohamed: @Andrew: It surprises me that you did not take in to account the fact that Maldivians are a 100% Muslim country. Paradise awaits the Maldivinas. Even the...

announcement

Torture victims in the Maldives tell their stories